In 2016, WFTO-Europe organised a Fair Trade Comics Contest to raise awareness about Fair Trade Principles using a popular mean in Belgium: comics.
First of all, we would like to thank all participants for taking the time to participate in this contest : we are aware that conveying Fair Trade messages through such an unconventional channel was a real challenge, but you outperformed our expectations and did a great job!
To decide which talented artists created the best comics, we asked to some Fair Trade “experts” and a comics artist to judge. The jury was composed by 5 people:
- Sophie Tack, WFTO-Europe Board member and Directrice Partenariat Campagne for Oxfam Magasins du Monde;
- Gabriella D’Amico, WFTO-Europe Board member and representing Associazione Botteghe del Mondo;
- Sergi Corbalan, Executive Director of the Fair Trade Advocacy Office;
- Linda Torfs, founder of Mekanik Strip;
- Yacine Canamas, an independent Comics Artist.
The winner appointed by the jury was Jean Bourguignon with his comic “Ethique et tac“:
Here below you can have a look at the comics that the other talented participants realized!
Comic n. 1 “Jacob, l’héro” by Hugo Deflandre:
Comic n. 2 “La vie d’un héros” by Marina Sheinova:
Comic n. 3 “Invisible Hand” by Naomi Leboy:
Thank you again to everyone for participating, for your dedication and the great results ! It was an inspiring trial for us that we would love to repeat in the future!
The WFTO-Europe Team